Super Scott to the Rescue!

Have you ever had one of those days? You know, the kind of day when you just should not have gotten out of bed? It snowed last night, so this morning I watched TV with great anticipation of an announcement that school was cancelled or delayed. But, it wasn’t to be.

Zachary is sick. Since Saturday, he’s had a runny nose and has been coughing a lot. The last two days, he’s woken up with his eyes matted shut. It’s the saddest thing. He’s just pitiful. The rest of us aren’t doing just great ourselves. We all have varying degrees of sniffles and coughs. Timothy seems to be completely recovered, but the rest of us are still fighting our colds.

This morning I had hoped to get to sleep in so Zachary could just rest. But, that didn’t happen. He woke up while we were getting Emily and Timothy ready for school, and was simply miserable. So, we decided it was time to take him to the doctor. Of course, I had to work this morning. Scott volunteered to take the morning off to take him to the doctor. He said he was ahead in his Calc IV class anyway. So, it was decided. Scott made a couple phone calls to be sure his class was covered. I delivered Emily to school (Scott generally does this) and went on to work.

Work today was a non-event. After sitting around for 45 minutes waiting for children to arrive, the other teacher and I decided it was time to leave. So, we went to tell the children’s minister that we were leaving and headed home. After dropping the other teacher off, I decided to track down Scott and Zachary. By this time, it is about 9:30. After getting no answer on the cell phone or at home, I decided to head to the pediatrician’s office. And that’s where I found them at 9:45.

Upon my arrival at the pediatrician’s office, Zachary was wondering happily around the waiting room. He looked bad, but was in really good spirits. Scott then determined that his presence was not needed, so he went to work. A few minutes later, Zachary and I were called back to the exam room. I really like our new doctor and his staff. The nurse could pretty much guess all of Zachary’s symptoms just from looking at him. I suppose they have seen a lot of this lately. Then, the doctor came in and examined him. His ears are infected and he has tonsillitis, plus his eyes are congested. So, we left the doctor’s office armed with a prescription for amoxicillin and gentamicin sulfate eye drops (let me tell you, it’s fun to give eye drops to a fifteen month old).

The rest of the morning went without incident. We filled our prescription and then headed to Wayland to pick Scott up for our weekly lunch date. We had a nice lunch together before going to get Emily from school. We were back home by noon.

Emily and Zachary laid down for their naps, and I did some light housework. Around 2:45, we left to pick Timothy up from Mother’s Day Out. We got Timothy and then headed to the church. I had forgotten to get something when I was there this morning, and Emily wanted to give a birthday card the kids had made to our children’s minister.

About halfway to the church, I noticed the engine sputtering. I quickly got off the road. We were out of gas. I had noticed the gas light on, but was a little over confident in how far it would go. Luckily, Scott was out of class by this time. So, I called him and he zipped over to where we were and put about a gallon of gas in the van. Then, he went back to work and I went to Wal-Mart to fill up the rest of the way.

By this time, Emily and Timothy have made it very clear that we needed to find a bathroom SOON. So, we stopped by Wayland to use the facilities. Finally, we were on our way to church.

We get to church and learn that the person I needed to see was out having a root canal today. Oh well, at least the kids got to deliver their card and got to visit with the children’s minister for a bit.

About 4:30, we left the church. As we approached Wayland, we thought it would be fun to go to Sonic with Scott. He had a meeting this evening, so we thought this would be a nice treat since we wouldn’t see him for a little while. So, I called him to see if that would be okay. He met us outside his building and we were off. Then, we noticed a thumping sound. What on earth could this be? Of course, the one tire that we have not replaced in the last year is flat. Scott skillfully changed the tire, went to his meeting, and we went home. Sonic will wait for another day.

It’s so good to be married to a super hero!



6 thoughts on “Super Scott to the Rescue!

  1. Could’ve been worse.

    If you’d been in my truck, the 1/2 gallon of gas would have got you 1/2 way to Walmart.

    When you went for the spare tire, you’d have discovered that the key for the tire lock was missing and you’d have spent 4 hours removing the bolts that hold the spare in place before discovering it was flat.

  2. I can only imagine that putting drops in Zachary’s eyes must be about as fun as putting them in Benjamin’s. We had pink-eye around our house last week. 2 drops in each eye 4 times a day for 7 days. That was the longest 7 days of my life.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s