Carrier Monkeys

I have officially survived my first week teaching two-year-olds at Calvary. Only 35 left. Not that I’m counting.

I am having a very nice time with my classes. I have 9 kids on Tuesday, 8 on Thursday and 5 on Monday & Wednesday. Two of the kids come all four days, two of the kids come only on Tuesdays, and one comes only on Thursdays. They will all be turning three sometime this Spring.

The first day was Tuesday. It was hard, but not as bad as I’d expected to it be. I guess it’s one of those things where you expect the worst but hope for the best and get somewhere in middle. When all the other classes were crying around me, my class was quiet. The hard part for my class was naptime. And it was just one child who made it hard. I felt bad for the child to be so upset, especially when grandma arrived to find the child still quite upset. That all ended fine. I talked with the child’s mom to assure her that her child was really happy during most of the day, and that I truly believed this is something that would pass quickly. Today I once again prepared for the heart wrenching screams, but instead the child gave me a solution. All that was needed was to be held for a bit. As I walked around the room helping the other children go to sleep, I had a little shadow waiting really patiently to be held. One child never did fall asleep but was very quiet. That child’s mom told me that they’ve never gone without a nap, so I need to figure out how to help that child too without bringing on the screams of the first one. All the children in the class seem to enjoy being at school and doing the activities, and the moms seem fairly pleased with the care their children are receiving.

My class on Wednesday was a dream with only five kids. They all slept and they all did every activity. They were a joy. This helped tremendously as Timothy and Zachary were both having pretty rough days. Zachary’s problem stemmed from a toothache. I took him to get it checked out today, and they found no root damage or gum damage. So, Tylenol and Baby Orajel is the answer. I suspect Timothy was tired, but he wasn’t quite himself that day either, so it was good that I had not had a stressful day.

Unfortunately, there is a side effect of working in a preschool. It’s hitting us a little odd though. This morning, Scott woke up with a 102 degree temperature and sore throat. The kids and I all checked out fine, so off we went to school leaving Scott to fend for himself. By the time we got home after school, my throat was hurting so I decided I better take my temperature too. Just over 100. Great! Now I’m tired and achy, and I don’t know if it’s from holding kids so much or from beginning to get sick. It’s probably both.

So far, the kids are fine. I thought they were the ones who were supposed to be getting sick from being around other children. Cute little carrier monkeys.



4 thoughts on “Carrier Monkeys

  1. RYC: Not sure what my final goal is going to be yet. Once I get this next 3.4 pounds off to get to my 2nd goal, I think I’m just going to take it 5 pounds at a time and see how much more I can lose and still look and feel healthy.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s