We’ve survived Day One without Scott. We got out and braved the cold to go eat, go grocery shopping, and go buy presents for the various parties we’ll be attending.
Here are the highlights thus far:
1. First we went to the bank to deposit some birthday money and Easter money that we received. (THANKS!) Then I remembered that I wanted to return the movie that Scott and I had rented Wednesday night (Beowulf). If we return it the next day we get a $2 credit. I didn’t want to miss out on that. Hasting’s is between our house and the bank, but I remembered too late so we had to come back home to get the DVD and grabbed a pizza hut coupon. I left the kids in the Trailblazer while I ran in to get those things. When I came back, Zachary informed me what presents Scott was going to buying for them in San Antonio. Zachary wants a train and he wants Timothy to have a Lightning McQueen car. I told them we’ll let Daddy pick out whatever souvenirs he wants to bring them.
2. Then we went to Pizza Hut. I had a coupon for $2 off a large pizza with up to three toppings. I gave the coupon to the waitress and let each of the kids pick a topping. They chose pepperoni (Zachary), Ham (Emily), and Beef (Timothy). The waitress left for a moment and then came back to ask which crust we wanted. After a few minutes, she came back and presented us with a large cheese pizza. She said when she had come back to ask about the crust, the topping had been cleared out of the computer. Our real pizza was in the oven. She said she’d box it up for us to take home. The cheese pizza (which we ate about half) would be free, as would our “real” pizza. Cool. We got out there for the price of three sodas and 5 breadsticks, but went home with 1 1/2 large pizzas. The kids have already told me that they do not want pizza for every meal this weekend. 🙂
3. Then we went to Wal-Mart to get presents for the parties and to buy some food to get us through the weekend. I wanted easy things that I knew that they would eat. I made both boys ride in the cart, so that outing went fairly smoothly. Unfortnately, I had left my cell phone in the Trailblazer so we missed Scott’s call when he arrived at his hotel. We got to talk to him later, so all is good there!
4. Finally, a quick trip to drop the movie off at Hasting’s and back home. This is where Emily took the instructions from Scott to be helpful very seriously. She decided we needed to go ahead and make her lunch for this morning and get her school bag packed. These are things we should do every evening, but we don’t. So, we did that and it was 8:00. We put our pajamas on and decided to watch the results show of American Idol (Zachary calls it Mecanical — sounds like Meccan Icol). I don’t want to spoil for anyone who is watching and hasn’t seen it, but I was pretty pleased with the results. As soon as it was over, Emily informed the boys that it was time for bed. I told her she didn’t have to do EVERYTHING, as I am here and can still be the mom. Oh well, we got everyone in bed without much incident. I went to bed pretty quickly after they did.
5. The night went without incident. Scott’s alarm woke me up a little earlier than I would have liked, but that’s okay. I have a sore throat and a cough. I am hoping that it goes away soon. There is too much going on tomorrow for me to be sick! Anyway, I got Emily up and she got dressed quickly. The boys got up and we had Trix for breakfast. Timothy refused to eat with the “Bee movie” spoon that we got out of box of cereal. That was a bit annoying, but he was happy with the grown up spoon I gave him instead. Emily is now gone to school (she actually made it on time!) and the boys are watching noggin. I need to get them dressed now so Timothy will get to school on time.
I promised the kids we’d rent movies tonight and watch them as we eat pizza and TV dinners. We’ll see how the day goes!